Deciding on what to wear to a party can become challenging, and with holiday party season upon us, we must begin to prepare for all the festivities to come. Holiday parties for me conjure up images of bubbly champagne, appetizers, dancing, gowns and suits and ties, great music, a touch of glam and some holiday magic. It can be a very exciting time of year meeting up with old friends and colleagues and making new ones all while celebrating with each other and reminiscing about the year that is coming to an end. Getting ready for holiday parties is a fun process, deciding on what you're going to wear and wanting to look like a million bucks when you arrive.
With so much excitement happening all around us, it's understandable to become overwhelmed with all the outfit choices out there. Many people feel at a loss as to what to wear to a party but have no fear because in this article I will give you a guideline on how to pick your perfect holiday outfit. So if you want to look your best and have an unforgettable night keep reading.
1) Dress Codes -To be party ready the first question you need to ask yourself is what is the dress code? Is the attire black tie, formal, or casual? If you don't know the answer to that question you need to get in touch with the host or event coordinator and find out asap to prevent an awkward moment of showing up in leggings and Uggs while everyone else looks like they could be walking the red carpet at the Golden Globes. Here's an outline of what is normally acceptable for three of the most common levels of dress codes for holiday parties.
- Black Tie- Black tie events are the most formal dress code you will come across, men are expected to wear tuxedos and for women, you have more options as to what you can wear. Wearing a floor-length gown would be the obvious choice in gorgeous jewel tones, metallics or classic black are all great choices. If the event is black tie optional and you don't have a gown and don't want to buy one you can always go with a cocktail dress you already own but make sure it's not too casual and can hold up in a room full of men in tuxedos and other women wearing gowns.
- Cocktail - For this dress code men can wear a dark colored suit and tie and for women cocktail dresses that aren't too short or revealing will work best. Choosing a little black dress you can dress up in fun unique jewelry such as wrap bracelets can give your look a touch of glitz and glam. If you're looking for a bracelet that will sparkle all night check out our black leather wrap bracelet with AB crystal beads here.
- Business Formal- Men will be able to wear a suit and tie and for women a tailored dress or a pencil skirt and a blouse or a pantsuit are acceptable. Opt for some sparkle and add a touch of glitz and glam to your outfit with sequined clutches, sparkly heels or unique statement jewelry.
2) Choose a color- I find it easier to decide on a color scheme for my outfit first and then figure out the rest later, like accessories and shoes and clutches. Some classic color choices that look great on every skin tone are metallics like gold, silver, rose gold, copper, bronze is all very flattering. Red dresses are classic as well and look so glamorous and eye-catching you will feel like a movie star no doubt, you also can never go wrong with a black dress, which is flattering and timeless and you can dress it up with statement jewelry like this. If you're feeling daring you can go for an all-white dress or pantsuit with a sequined clutch and all eyes will be on you!
3) Trendy or Classic- Another question you need to ask yourself is do you want to stand out and wear something unexpected and eye-catching? or do you want to wear something more timeless and classic? This is an important question to ask because if you're someone who doesn't like to be the center of attention you may want to stay away from standout pieces that make a bold statement, also if you are someone who hates following trends and blending in this will be the option for you. Whatever you choose to wear make sure you feel comfortable, it fits well and you feel confident wearing it.
It's not an easy decision deciding what to wear to a party especially one during the holidays, with this guide I hope you got some inspiration and a sense of direction on how to put together a stunning outfit for an unforgettable night out with friends and family.
Let me know in the comments if you have a hard time putting together outfits for special occasions!
Subscribe to our newsletter to be updated on new content and products and special offers
Happy Shopping xxoo